You are here
Giving to the Department of Chemistry
Supporting the Department of Chemistry is an important way to help the department continue its tradition of excellence. Gifts from alumni and friends of the department provide much needed additional support for students, faculty, and the academic program. You may choose to give to the department's general fund (Chemistry Special Projects), give to a named fund, or create your own fund.
The fundraising focus for chemistry is to secure support for faculty, students and research to:
- maintain and enhance our national reputation and rankings;
- ensure that the University of Minnesota is the first choice of the most talented students; and
- attract and retain faculty members who are collaborative, renowned in their fields, and dedicated to students to maintain our distinction of having the highest percentage of faculty with teaching awards in the college.
Fellowship, Scholarship, and Support Funds
There are a number of existing funds to support undergraduate and graduate students as well as to provide support for faculty and the department. Many of these funds can be augmented by your contributions, or you can choose to set up your own fund.
- Chemistry Special Projects Fund (#3261) The most important fund in the department, the Special Projects Fund provides unrestricted support for scholarships, fellowships, faculty and the academic program.
- Chemistry Faculty Support Fund (#5015) This fund was established to promote faculty excellence in the department by providing funds to support and retain top faculty.
- Chemistry Building the Future Fund (#21142) This fund was established to aid in support of renovations and capital projects in the Department of Chemistry
- Izaak M. Kolthoff Fund (#1073) Provides resources to bring in outstanding lecturers and to offer fellowships to top graduate students in honor of the late Professor Kolthoff.
- Wayland E. Noland Fellowship in Organic Chemistry. This fund was established by Professor Noland.to support talented graduate students working in the area of organic chemistry.
- John Wertz Fellowship in Chemistry (#5228) The fund provides support for graduate fellowships in the department in memory of the late Professor Wertz.
- Paul G. and Gerda Ann Gassman Chemistry Graduate Student Travel Fund (#8486) Provides one-time awards to allow graduate students involved in organic chemistry to present their research findings at a national conference
Making a gift
Make a gift online to the Department of Chemistry (please take care to designate to the specific program or area you would like to fund.) If you have questions about giving or need assistance in making a gift, please contact Kathy Peters-Martell, Senior Development Officer, at (612) 626-8282 or email@example.com.
Learn more about giving to the College of Science & Engineering.
2017 Scholarship & Award Recipients
PDF of students who received scholarships and prizes during the May 2017 undergraduate student awards and recognition event.
- Give to the Department of Chemistry
- College of Science & Engineering, 105 Walter Library, 117 Pleasant St. SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- (612) 626-8282
- Senior Development Officer
- Kathy Peters-Martell