Graduation 2020

Watch the virtual commencement ceremony online, Saturday, May 16

Celebrate the 2020 grads! The 2020 University of Minnesota Virtual Commencement Ceremony will be webcast live online on Saturday, May 16, beginning at 11 a.m. CDT.

2020 University of Minnesota Commencement Ceremony
Saturday, May 16, 2020
11 a.m. CDT
Watch the virtual commencement online
The virtual ceremony will be accessible online until June 30, 2020.

The online celebration will feature short videos and an interactive listing of degree candidates with photos. The individual information can easily be shared on social media. Use hashtags #HailtoThee2020 and #CSEGrad2020. The theme for the celebration is “Hail to Thee,” the University’s alma mater and a reference to Minnesota’s state song chosen to reflect the University’s admiration for graduates' incredible resilience in these stressful times.

After the ceremony, visit the CSE website for additional videos, well wishes from alumni and faculty, and more:

CSE Undergraduate Commencement webpage 

CSE Graduate Student Commencement webpage

How can I learn about industrial opportunities?

We usually set up interviews and presentations from industrial recruiters in the fall of the year. We also keep a list of job seekers, and share information about employment and research opportunities in the weekly ENews.

College of Science & Engineering Career Center, csecareer@umn.eduoffers a variety of career services.

What do I need to do before I leave the department?

  • Use our departure checklist.
  • Notify Nancy Thao,, of your anticipated month of graduation.
  • Submit the online form: What are your plans after graduation?
  • If you are willing to grant an exit interview, complete the exit interview form, or set up an appointment with Professor Philippe Buhlmann, director of Graduate Studies, or Nancy Thao, assistant to the Director of Graduate Studies.
  • Submit the Graduate Assistant Health Plan Change or Cancellation Form to terminate or extend your coverage at your own cost.
  • Keep your contact information up-to-date through CSE Alumni Relations, which will ensure that you receive our printed and electronic newsletters.
  • If you are an international student, contact International Student and Scholar Services in person or by phone, 612-626-7100.
  • Let us know what you're doing. We publish news about our alumni, and you can send that to Eileen Harvala,


  • General email

    Nancy Thao
    Assistant to the Director of Graduate Studies
    115 Smith Hall
    (612) 624-0313

    • Director of Graduate Studies in Chemistry
    • Professor Aaron Massari
    • Director of Graduate Studies In Chemical Physics
    • Professor Renee Frontiera