You are here
August 20 to August 30, 2018
- Orientation schedule for all incoming students in fall 2018.
- You will be expected to attend all events.
- Meals will be provided where indicated.
- All exams and meetings will be conducted in 331 Smith Hall, unless otherwise indicated.
- Three-Member Advising committee meeting times and rooms will be given to you.
- You are required to take four out of five proficiency exams during the first week of orientation.
- Five examinations are offered—analytical, biochemistry, inorganic, organic, and physical chemistry.
- You request which four exams you will be taking on the interest form sent via email.
- You must pass all four examinations some time during the first year of study.
- Prepare for these exams now.
- The exams cover what the American Chemical Society defines as basic undergraduate chemistry.
- Use your undergraduate texts to review.
- With serious review of your past coursework, you should not have difficulty passing these proficiency exams.
- We require you to take these exams even if you took them as an undergraduate student.
- meet other teaching assistants teaching your course
- receive an overview of what kinds of experiments you will be instructing in the labs
- go through check-in, safety, pre-lab talks, teaching assistnat meetings
- receive your teaching assistant assignments and schedules
Three-member advising committee (TMC) meeting
- First meeting with your three-member advising committee (TMC) to determine the courses you will be registering for and other plans for completing your first-year requirements.
- After you meet with your TMC and determine the courses you will be taking, it is critical that you submit your schedule to the Head TA as soon as possible.
- All new international students need to go to the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) office, 190 Humphrey Center, for an Immigration Check-in.
- There is comprehensive information on the ISSS website.
- Questions? Send an email to email@example.com.
Payroll Information Meeting
- You must bring two forms of identification with you at this meeting.
- Forms of identification that may be used include your state identification card, drivers license, social security card, VISA, green card, and birth certificate.
- All payroll forms must be turned in to 141 Smith Hall no later than the 1st week of orientation, or you may not be paid.
- Foreign National Students: Please bring ALL documentation with you, including EAD cards, letter of acceptance to the department, and any paperwork given to you during your ISSS (International Student and Scholar Services) orientation.
- Please visit www.hrss.umn.edu for more information about the university payroll system.