You are here
Bachelor of Arts
College of Liberal Arts
College of Liberal Arts students who plan to submit an Application for Major Status need to meet with an adviser in the Chemistry Department who will provide information about the major and the application process in one-on-one meetings.
- All required courses for the major including composition must be taken on A-F grading.
- All required courses must be completed with at least a "C-" grade.
- Completion of a minimum of 120 credits is required for a Bachelor of Arts degree.
- two courses in general chemistry 1061/1065 and 1062/1066 or Honors 1071H/1075H and 1072H/1076H
- two lectures and one lab course in organic chemistry 2301, 2302 or 2304, 2311 or Honors 2331H and 23332H lab 2312H in the fall term
- one lecture and a lab course in analytical chemistry 2101, 2111
- two lectures in physical chemistry 4501, 4502
- one lecture in inorganic chemistry 4701
- two advanced chemistry labs selected from
- Chem 4311 (Advanced Organic Laboratory),
- Chem 4111 (Intermediate Analytical Chemistry Laboratory),
- Chem 4511 (Advanced Physical Laboratory),
- Chem 4711 (Advanced Inorganic Laboratory)
- Chem 4223 (Polymer Laboratory)
- Chem 4423 (Foundations of Chemical Biology Lab)
- can use Directed Studies (2094 or 4094) as one of the Adv Chem Labs (2 credits)
- 12 credits in math
- 1271 Calculus I
- 1272 Calculus II
- 2263 Multivariable Calculus
- 8 credits in physics
- 1201-1202, Introductory Physics and Laboratories (calculus level) 1301-1302
- 3 credits advanced technical electives
- selected from 3XXX- and higher-level courses of 3 credits or more in chemistry, biology, biochemistry, genetics, cell biology, chemical engineering, materials science, math, physics, public health, and statistics
- Composition and writing 1011 University Writing and Critical Reading (4 credits) 4 writing intensive requirements
- Second language
- 2 years of a single second language.
- 15 of the last 30 credits must be completed in CLA at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities campus
- at least 10 credits of advanced chemistry courses of which at least one lab course must be taken at the University of Minnesota