Department honors student award and fellowship recipients
Each September, the Department of Chemistry honors outstanding students, including those earning recognition for their work during the 2015-16 school year. This year's honorees including students receiving 2016-17 3rd-year Excellence Awards, outstanding teaching assistants and honorable mentions, and students earning 4.0 grade-point averages (GPA).
Our Excellence Awards are supported by corporate and individual donors. This year's endowed fellowship recipients are:
- Lester C. and Joan M. Krogh Endowed Fellowship—Evan Anderson who is advised by Professor Philippe Buhlmann
- Jane B. Spence Fellowship—Fazel Zare Bidoky who is advised by Professor Daniel Frisbie
- Phillips 66—James Brooks who is advised by Professor Renee Frontiera
- Kenneth E. & Marion S. Owens Fellowship—Kelsey Parker who is advised by Professor Donald Truhlar
- Robert and Jill DeMaster Fellowship—Samuel Stoneburner who is advised by Professor Laura Gagliardi
- Newman and Lillian Bortnick Fellowship—Kiall Francis Suazo who is advised by Professor Mark Distefano
- Wayland Noland Fellowship—Shu Xu who is advised by Professor Thomas Hoye
Outstanding Teaching Assistant Awards
The 2015-16 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award recipients are Zach Degregorio, Guilhem De Hoe, and Xin Yi See.
Degregorio students wrote, “Zach did a wonderful job explaining every lab thoroughly. He began every class with in overview of the plan for the day, and ended the spiel with ‘and as always, googles on!’ When my group had questions, he wouldn't give us a direct answer, but would facilitate the group to answer it ourselves.”
Some of Guilhem's polymer students wrote, “Guilhem is very enthusiastic about students learning polymer chemistry. He writes all of the homework, which are unique to each lecture, and are extremely in depth and practical examples that utilize the concepts and expressions derived in lecture.”
Xin Yi’s organic students wrote, “She taught the material very clearly, made the experiments fun, and was always very helpful and approachable. I always left lab feeling more knowledgeable! . . . I can't express how much of a difference she made in making a very stressful class manageable."