December 21, 2018
You are here
Safety Note: Break/Holiday Preparations
With the semester break and holidays, the Department of Chemistry’s Safety Committee has prepared some laboratory safety and general security guidance for ensuring that your laboratory or office is ready. Fewer people on campus means that we need to take extra precautions to prevent facility and equipment problems. All University of Minnesota campus buildings will be closed, Monday, Dec. 24, Tuesday, Dec 25, and Tuesday, Jan. 1. Smith Hall and Kolthoff Hall will be locked to the public on those holidays, and during the weekends over break. At those times, you can only access the building by using your UCard at doors with card readers.
We ask that you take a few minutes to prepare by considering the points below.
- Do not let people who you don't recognize into the building.
- Ensure that doors shut securely behind you when you enter or exit.
- Prior to leaving campus over the holidays, check windows to ensure that they are locked.
- Ensure that all sink faucets and water lines are turned completely off and that drains are unobstructed.
- If a water line is in use, double-check and secure all connections, which can be easy to overlook.
- Close all fume hood sashes.
- Unplug all space heaters and turn off coffee pots.
- Where appropriate, consider turning off and unplugging other equipment that does not need to be running over the holidays.
- Communicate with all group members who will be on or off campus over the holiday, and who can be reached in an emergency.
- Be mindful of your group's policy on working alone in lab.
If you are on campus over the holidays and notice a facility issue, please report it immediately to the Facilities Management Call Center (612) 624-2900. This number is answered 24 hours a day. Call 911 for emergencies. Non-emergency assistance after hours consultation with University Health & Safety is available by calling (612) 626-6002 or by asking 911 dispatch to connect you with University Health & Safety.
—Department of Chemistry Safety Committee
Upcoming Department Seminars
|Lily Robertson, Ph.D.||
Department of Chemistry
University of Ilinois at Urbana-Champaign
Tuesday, Jan. 8
331 Smith Hall
|Danielle J. Mai, Ph.D.||
Department of Chemical Engineering
Massachusetts Institute of Technology