You are here
Check back for information on Cool Chemistry 2020!
What is Cool Chemistry?
Cool Chemistry is an opportunity for girls in 7th and 8th grades to explore the wonders of chemistry with the Chemistry Chapter of Women in Science and Engineering.
When is it?
2020 Date TBD
Where do we go?
Smith Hall, 207 Pleasant St. SE, Minneapolis (located on the Northrop Mall on the University's East Bank campus)
What is the cost?
$10, with scholarships available
What will we do?
You will participate in interactive workshops, watch explosive demonstrations, and learn new skills that you can take home to wow and amaze your friends and neighbors. Workshops include:
- Fantastic Plastic!—Learn about the chemistry behind polymers. They are in everything from plastics to bullet-proof vests, nylon, superglue, diapers, and flexible keyboards. We will talk about where plastics come from and what plastics can do, and you will make some of your own to take home.
- Bubbles and Glow—Have you ever wondered what makes a glow stick glow? Or why bath bubbles fizz? Learn about these reactions and how temperatures and pH can change them. You will make bath bubbles and play with glow sticks while learning about organic chemistry.
- Energy—We're surrounded by energy every day: heat, light, and electricity. Learn how they may be the answer to current health and fuel crises. You will learn how sunscreen protects us from the sun's harmful rays. You will make hand warmers to combat the cold Minnesota winters. Finally, we will explain how catalysts work and how water splitting can be used as an alternative energy source.
Who sponsors Cool Chemistry?
Cool Chemistry is funded by these generous organizations:
- University of Minnesota Women's Center, Office for Equity and Diversity
- University of Minnesota Department of Chemistry
- Fisher Scientific
- Watkins & Associates
- Papa John's
- ImmunoChemistry Technologies