You are here
Cool Chemistry: postponed to May 5
Exploring the wonders of chemistry
What is Cool Chemistry?
Cool Chemistry is an opportunity for girls in 7th and 8th grades to explore the wonders of chemistry with the Chemistry Chapter of Women in Science and Engineering.
When is it?
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday April 14, 2018 [registration required (see below) and lunch provided]
Date changed to May 5 due to predicted inclement weather on the 14th.
Where do we go?
Smith Hall, 207 Pleasant St. SE, Minneapolis (located on the Northrop Mall on the University's East Bank campus)
What is the cost?
$10, with scholarships available
What will we do?
You will participate in interactive workshops, watch explosive demonstrations, and learn new skills that you can take home to wow and amaze your friends and neighbors. Workshops include:
- Fantastic Plastic!—Learn about the chemistry behind polymers. They are in everything from plastics to bullet-proof vests, nylon, superglue, diapers, and flexible keyboards. We will talk about where plastics come from and what plastics can do, and you will make some of your own to take home.
- Bubbles and Glow—Have you ever wondered what makes a glow stick glow? Or why bath bubbles fizz? Learn about these reactions and how temperatures and pH can change them. You will make bath bubbles and play with glow sticks while learning about organic chemistry.
- Energy—We're surrounded by energy every day: heat, light, and electricity. Learn how they may be the answer to current health and fuel crises. You will learn how sunscreen protects us from the sun's harmful rays. You will make hand warmers to combat the cold Minnesota winters. Finally, we will explain how catalysts work and how water splitting can be used as an alternative energy source.
Who sponsors Cool Chemistry?
Cool Chemistry 2018 isfunded by these generous organizations:
- University of Minnesota Women's Center Office for Equity and Diversity
- Department of Chemistry
- Beckman Coulter
- Fisher Scientific
- Watkins & Associates
- Papa John's
- ImmunoChemistry Technologies
- Cool Chemistry
- University of Minnesota, Department of Chemistry, Smith Hall, 207 Pleasant St SE, Minneapolis MN 55455
- Letitia Yao, Ph.D., Cool Chemistry Coordinator
- (612) 625-8374