Gunda I. Georg
Professor and Head (College of Pharmacy), McKnight Presidential Chair, Robert Vince Endowed Chair
- Chemical Biology
- B.S. Philipps Universitat Marburg, 1975
- Ph.D. Philipps Universitat Marburg, 1975
- Post Doctorate Philipps Universitat Marburg, 1981, University of Ottawa, 1982
Office: 452 717 Delaware St SE
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- T: (612) 626-6320
Principal Research Interests
Professor Georg and her group have published more than 220 scientific articles and are involved in the design, semisynthesis, total synthesis, and evaluation of biologically active agents. Current therapeutic areas include cancer, male and female contraception, epilepsy, and Alzheimer's disease. These projects require the development of synthetic methods, synthesis of natural products, and structure-activity studies aimed at improving the therapeutic efficacy of lead compounds, including natural products, and hits from high throughput screening.
Interdisciplinary projects are a main focus in the Georg group, involving medicinal chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, pharmaceutical chemistry and reproductive biology. Active collaboration exists between the Reproductive Branch of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, the Chemical Biology Consortium of the National Cancer Institute, several research groups at the University of Minnesota, and around the country. Professor Georg is the co-inventor of LusedraTM, which is marketed by Eisa Pharmaceuticals. She is also a co-inventor of Minnelide, an anticancer agent in phase I clinical trials, and of Gamedazol, a male contraceptive agent in preclinical development.
- Gunda I. Georg, University of Minnesota, Department of Chemistry
- College of Pharmacy (delivery code 1932), 139 Smith Hall, 207 Pleasant St SE
- Minneapolis, MN 55455-0431