You are here
Personnel & Researchers
Mass Spectrometry Laboratory Oversight Committee
Professor Steven Kass
Director Joseph Dalluge, Ph.D.
Joseph J. Dalluge, Ph.D., is director of the Department of Chemistry's Mass Spectrometry Laboratory. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1991 from Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, MN, and his doctorate in biochemistry in 1996 from the University of Utah with Professor James A. McCloskey.
He joined the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) from 1996 to 1998 as a National Research Council post-doctoral associate, and continued working at NIST as a Research Scientist from 1998 to 2001. From 2001 to 2008, he worked at Cargill Incorporated Central Research, until his move to the University of Minnesota in 2009.
Dalluge is interested in the use of mass spectrometry for metabolite profiling, biomarker identification and assay development, using HPLC and UPLC combined with electrospray mass spectrometry primarily on triple quadrupole and quadrupole-time-of-flight instrumentation. Current efforts focus on the sensitive detection and quantification of medically relevant diagnostic markers, metabolite profiling for identification of biomarkers relevant to human health, and metabolite profiling approaches to biodiversity research.
Dalluge has been a member of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry since 1994 and is a member of the American Chemical Society. He has 37 publications and one patent, is past president (2003-04) of the Minnesota Mass Spectrometry Discussion Group, and a member of the Editorial Board of Current Protein and Peptide Science.
- Paulson, N., Gilbertson, A., Dalluge, J.J., Bradford, C., Hughes, J., Han, W., Blackwell, T., Laguna, T., Williams, B.J. The Arginine Decarboxylase Pathways of Host and Pathogen Interact to Impact Inflammatory Pathways in the Lung. PLOS ONE (2014) doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0111441.
- Wollack, J.W., Monson, B.J., Dozier, J.K., Dalluge, J.J., Poss, K., Hilderbrand, S.A., Distefano, M.D. Site-Specific Labeling of Proteins and Peptides with Trans-Cyclooctene Containing Handles Capable of Tetrazine Ligation. Chem. Biol. Drug Des. 84 (2014) 140-147.
- Dalluge, J.J., McCurtain, J.L., Gilbertsen, A.J., Kalstabakken, K.A., Williams, B.J. Determination of Agmatine Using Isotope Dilution UPLC-Tandem Mass Spectrometry: Application to the Characterization of the Arginine Decarboxylase Pathway in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. DOI: 10.1007/S00216-015-8724-0.
- K. Wende, P. Williams, J. Dalluge, W. van Gaens, H. Aboubakr, J. Bischop, Th. von Woedtke, S. M. Goyal, A. Bogaerts, K. Masur, P.J. Bruggeman. Identification of the biologically active liquid chemistry induced by a nonthermal atmospheric pressure plasma jet. Biointerfaces. DOI: 10.1116/1.4919710.
- Banerjee, S., Sindberg, G., Wang, F., Meng, J., Sharma, U., Zhang, L., Dauer, P., Chen, C., Dalluge, J., Johnson, T., Roy, S. Opioid-induced gut microbial disruption and bile dysregulation leads to gut barrier compromise and sustained systemic inflammation. Mucosal Immunol. DOI: 10.1038/mi.2016.9
- Dalluge, J.J., Connell, L.B. On the Potential of Mass Spectrometry-Based Metabolite Profiling Approaches to the Study of Biochemical Adaptation in Psychrophilic Yeast," Extremophiles (2013) 953-961.
- Connell, L.B., Rodriguez, R.R., Redman, R.S., Dalluge, J.J. Cold-Adapted Yeasts in Antarctic Deserts. In P. Buzzini, R. Margesin (eds.) Cold-Adapted Yeasts, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-39681-6_4, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013.
- Meyer, A.F., Thompson, J.W., Wang, Y., Koseoglu, S., Dalluge, J.J., Haynes, C.L. Isotope-Dilution UPLC-MS/MS Determination of Cell-Secreted Bioactive Lipids. Analyst 138 (2013) 5697-5705.
- Gruba, S.M., Meyer, A.F., Manning, B.M., Wang, Y., Thompson, J.W., Dalluge, J.J., Haynes, C.L. Time- and Concentration-Dependant Effects of Exogenous Serotonin and Inflammatory Cytokines on Mast Cell Function. ACS Chem. Biol. (2013) 503-509.
- Mbughuni, M.M., Chakrabarti, M., Hayde, J.A., Meier, K.K., Dalluge, J.J., Hendrich, M.P., Munck, E., Lipscomb, J.D. Oxy-Intermediates of Homoprotocatechuate 2,3-Dioxygenase: Facile Electron Transfer Between Substrates. Biochemistry 50 (2011) 10262-10274.
- Ross, K.L. and Dalluge, J.J. Liquid Chromatography/Tandem Mass Spectrometry of Glycolytic Intermediates: Deconvolution of Coeluting Structural Isomers Based on Unique Product Ion Ratios. Anal. Chem. 81 (2009) 4021-4026.
- Ross, K.L., Tu, T.T., Smith, S., Dalluge, J.J. Profiling of Organic Acids during Fermentation by Ultraperformance Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Anal. Chem. 79 (2007) 4840-4844.
Mass Spectrometry Laboratory
Department of Chemistry
University of Minnesota
207 Pleasant St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Mass Spectrometry Laboratory
- 191 Kolthoff Hall, 225 Pleasant St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Joseph J. Dalluge, Ph.D., Director
- (612) 625-8099