You are here
Family care room
The department has created a private room, 338 Smith Hall, for women in the department who are breastfeeding their children.
The room is equipped with the following:
- A Medela brand "Lactina Select" breastfeeding pump is provided in the room.
- Individuals must provide their own pumping accessories, tubing and containers (see below)
- A small refrigerator
Access to the room is granted by making a request to the administrative office staff in 139 Smith Hall. They will issue a key and provide access to the Google calendar that is used to reserve the room.
There is a deadbolt lock on the door that should be used to ensure privacy.
- For privacy purposes, the room is not be accessible to custodial staff.
- Trash needs to be dumped by users into the common "quad" trash/recycling containers in the hallway.
Any containers stored in the refrigerator must be clearly marked and dated.
- For hygiene and cleanliness of the room, the expectation is that users will responsibly remove contents of the refrigerator as needed.
Medela "Lactina Select" Breast Pump
The pump is meant to be used by multiple users. For hygiene purposes, breast milk does not pass through the pump itself. It should not require any cleaning or sterilization.
- Users are responsible for providing their own accessories and containers.
- The Medela website lists accessories compatible with the Lactina Select pump.
- Accessories are available from multiple vendors: http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/pump-accessories
- The proper cleaning and sterilization of the accessories, tubing and containers is the sole responsibility of the user.
- In using this facility, users release the Department of Chemistry from all liability and responsibility related to the cleanliness, hygiene and safety of user-owned accessories and containers.
- The Department of Chemistry's liability for the equipment provided extends only to maintaining the mechanical operation of the breast pump and the refrigerator.