You are here
The University does not reimburse for sales tax on most purchases. Airfare and lodging are two common exceptions.
Please check with accounting before making your purchase, if you have any questions. See the following link (Purchasing Goods and Services) for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does a person need to have to be reimbursed?
- Itemized detailed receipts are required for all hospitality/business meals.
- You will not be reimbursed without an itemized receipt.
- Original receipts, budget number and justification (who, what, when, where, why) and required signatures are needed for reimbursements.
How is a person reimbursed for meal expenses?
The University of MN Travel policy is available at: http://policy.umn.edu/finance/travel.
- Employees traveling on University business (overnight) will be reimbursed for actual meal expenses up to, but not exceeding, the Federal State Department (GSA) Per Diem daily amounts.
- Currently, rates vary by city, county, and country.
- Travelers must not exceed the maximum meal rate for the city/county/country where their meal was purchased.
- For information on the Per Diem in the city/county/country in which you will be traveling, please click on the links below.
- Employees traveling on University business (extended day travel) will not be reimbursed for meal expenses, if travel is within 12 hours and does not include an overnight stay.
- Click on the policy link above for more details.
- If you claim the maximum per diem, you must certify that your actual expenses met or exceeded the per diem.
- Receipts for hospitality are required; however, receipts for meals while traveling are not required.
Where should the reimbursement be turned in?
- Reimbursement forms should be brought to 141 Smith Hall during regular business hours.
- Place the forms in the bin on the counter-top to the right of the door.
Where will the check be sent?
- If you receive your pay via direct deposit, you will receive reimbursements through direct deposit as well.
- If you receive your pay via check, your reimbursement check will be mailed to the same address.
How long will it take to get a check?
- The reimbursement takes approximately two weeks to process.
Can someone check on the status of the reimbursement?
- You will receive a system generated email once your reimbursement has been processed and approved for payment.
- Unless you have access to the financial system, you are not able to see a reimbursement while it is in process.
Finance and Payroll Services
Department of Chemistry
141 Smith Hall
207 Pleasant St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Finance and Payroll Services
- 141 Smith Hall
- (612) 624-3409
- Financial Services Manager
- Heather Steen