You are here
The University does not reimburse sales tax on most purchases.
University employees are responsible for knowing, and complying with applicable policies. See the following links for additional information:
Frequently Asked Questions
What does a person need to have to be reimbursed?
- Itemized detailed receipts are required for all expenses except for meals covered by the per diem while in travel status.
- You will not be reimbursed without an itemized receipt.
- Original receipts, budget number, and justification (who, what, when, where, why) and required signatures are needed for reimbursements.
How is a person reimbursed for meal expenses?
Policies include the University of Minnesota's:
- Travel policy
- Hospitality policy
- Business Expenses
- Employees traveling on University business (overnight) will be reimbursed for actual meal expenses up to, but not exceeding, the Federal State Department (GSA) per diem daily amounts.
- Currently, rates vary by city, county, and country.
- Travelers must not exceed the maximum meal rate for the city/county/country where their meal was purchased.
- For information on the per diem in the city/county/country in which you will be traveling, please click on the links below.
- The meal allowance for the first and last day of travel is 75% of the per diem amount for the travel destination
- Employees traveling on University business (extended day travel) will not be reimbursed for meal expenses, if travel is within 12 hours and does not include an overnight stay.
- Click on the policy links above for more details.
- If you claim the maximum per diem, you must certify that your actual expenses met or exceeded the per diem.
- Hospitality meals while in travel status are typically unallowable. If you believe you qualify for an exception, please work with finance and payroll staff in advance of your travel.
- Receipts for meals while traveling are not required.
Where should the reimbursement be turned in?
- Reimbursement forms should be brought to 141 Smith Hall during regular business hours.
- Place the forms in the bin on the counter-top to the right of the door.
Where will the check be sent?
- If you receive your pay via direct deposit, you will receive reimbursements through direct deposit as well.
- If you receive your pay via check, your reimbursement check will be mailed to the same address.
How long will it take to get a check?
- The reimbursement takes approximately two weeks to process.
Can someone check on the status of the reimbursement?
- You will receive a system generated email once your reimbursement has been processed and approved for payment.
- Unless you have access to the financial system, you are not able to see a reimbursement while it is in process.