Chemistry payroll staff use materials provided by hiring managers to create the official hiring paperwork required by collegiate and University policy. Staff assist in the I9 verification of work eligibility. Staff also administer the University’s electronic time sheets and absence reporting system for chemistry employees.


University of Minnesota hiring processes require time and advance planning to get someone hired, re-hired, or changed to a different type of appointment. Please plan ahead, consulting department staff as needed. Requirements of the hiring process vary by type of employee.

A background check must be complete for all non-student hires. New employees cannot be paid for work done prior to passing their background check. This means we cannot hire someone with a start date in the past, and then give them back pay.

For undergraduate students, email authorization is required from the hiring authority. The email should include the student’s name, identification, the start and end date of the job, the rate of pay, and the course of funding. Unless other information is received, the job code 2221, used for undergraduate student support positions, will be used. Undergraduates in chemistry are typically paid between $11 and $14 per hour.

To hire a recent graduate, please see the information on Temporary and Casual Employees.

Graduate Student hires are handled through the Student Services Office in 115 Smith Hall.

Post-doctoral associates have to apply, and be hired, via the University’s hiring system, The complete hiring file for a post-doctorate will include a signed offer letter, proof of their graduate degree (translated into English, if not already in English) and demographic information on the University’s Human Resources Information Sheet.

The hiring of a foreign nationals needs to be coordinated by Mollie Dunlap.

The complete hiring file for a post-doctoral associate includes a signed offer letter, proof of their graduate degree (translated into English, if not already in English) and demographic information on the University’s Human Resources Information Sheet.

Temporary and casual (temp/cas) employees are hired on a limited-time basis, or for a limited number of hours per week. Employees can be employed for either up to 14 hours per week on an ongoing basis or for 67 working days per calendar year. The complete hiring file for a temp/cas will include a signed offer letter and demographic information on the University’s Human Resources Information Sheet.

Work Authorization/I9 Completion 

All employees are required to document eligibility to work in the USA. This must be done within the first three days of their employment. All employees need to visit to begin the verification process. On the Welcome page, enter 13636 in the Employee Name or Code field and click Go. Enter your personal information into the website, referencing the instructions provided on that site as needed. Please choose "College of Science and Engineering" in the "location" drop down menu. For citizens or U.S. permanent residents, chemistry staff are able to review their identification documents. Foreign nationals need to visit 545 WBOB, West Bank Office Building, 1300 S 2nd Street, Minneapolis, for document review. Foreign Nationals are required to make an I-9 appointment by calling 612-624-8647.

Information for Foreign Nationals

All Foreign Nationals who will be on the University of Minnesota payroll need to apply for a U.S. Social Security number. Once you apply for a number at the Social Security Administration office you will need to take the S.S. receipt and your VISA paperwork to the University Payroll Office at 545 West Bank Office Building. Foreign Nationals are required to make an I-9 appointment by calling 612-624-8647. The Payroll Office will work with you to enter your VISA and tax treaty information in the University system. At the end of that visit you will receive a form detailing the documents that were completed. Please bring this form with you to the Department of Chemistry Finance and Payroll Services Office. This is needed to set you up in the payroll system.


  • Post-doctorate template (Word DOC) offer letter for domestic hire
  • Temp/Casual template (Word DOCX) offer letter
  • University HRISF (PDF)


  • Finance and Payroll Services
    Department of Chemistry
    141 Smith Hall
    207 Pleasant St SE
    Minneapolis, MN 55455
    Payroll changes:
    Purchasing issues:

    • Finance and Payroll Services
    • 141 Smith Hall
    • (612) 624-3409